Sunday, November 2, 2008

Kaylee's Adoption Journey

So, I thought I'd go back in time and review some of the wonderful events in our life.   In April 2002, we added our Kaylee to our family.  She was 2 1/2 years old and we adopted her from Kaliningrad, Russia.  Kaliningrad is a little spec of Russia between Poland and Lithuania on the Baltic Sea.  History lesson... when the USSR broke up, Russia wanted to keep a port for import/export that didn't freeze over and so Kaliningrad is the place.   

The first picture is of Kaylee and I on our first day meeting each other on our first trip to Russia in March.  She was shy and a little nervous, but warmed up to the attention quite quickly (not much has changed there) and even cuddled a little with me.  


This was our adoption day after we had gone through the proceedings at the courts and came to pick her up at the baby home.  Big Day!  We had flown in that day, were exhausted after our 12 hour flight and found that they had changed our court date to that day, only a few hours after we landed.  After court, we picked up her new birth certificate with our names on it as parents and then went to pick up our new daughter.  I was almost as exhausted as childbirth after all the hoopla.  
Eating - Now that was exciting.  Kaylee ate everything she could get her hands on and was a pro with the spoon.  It was fun to watch her try everything just because she didn't have alot of variety in the baby home and it was so new to her.  Her faces were priceless.

This picture just cracks me up.  When we would visit her in the baby home, she had to come from a building next door to the offices.  It was literally across the driveway.  But they would bundle her up like she was going to the Appalachians or something.  It was probably about 55 degrees outside, certainly not freezing.   And she was always mismatched.  But always so cute.

Kaylee's trip to Moscow.  All of the US adoption papers had to be signed in Moscow and she had to have a physical and all alot of other red tape.  So we had some time to see some sights and was able to have some nostalgic pictures of Kaylee in Red Square.  Something to remember her heritage.  




5 comments:

Rachel said...

We are so glad that Kaylee is apart of your family. I just can't imagine her not being there. She fits very well.

Rachel said...

Actually that's from me Aunt Wendi, I guess I'm signed in as Rachel.

Kristy said...

You not only went back in time with Kaylee but with Dean and the rest of the fam on your sidebar--wow, I'm proud!--did you have help?

Neal and Makensy said...

Wow...I can't believe time goes by so fast. I remember seeing her for the first time. She did have so many cute and curious little faces that she made.

Kellyn said...

That kinda breaks my heart that she didn't have you for 2 years. She looks the same now as she did then, so cute. I LOVE your coat in the last picture.